I'm not into Day 3 of my week-long cupcake-ery shenanigans.
I went to bed last night completely covered in flour and icing sugar.
Crack an egg on me and I might rise if it's too sunny outside. *coughs edible glitter*
Today's cupcakes are some fabulous Rainbow Cupcakes.|
I first made them for my darling co-workers and boss, Tony, at LGBT station Pride Radio during Northern Pride and they went down a storm.
(I'd also had a bit of fizzy pop and giggling down the microphone to Tony - but he'd been on the mojitos and had just met Lisa Scott-Lee so I don't think he minded too much...)
But this time around, I added another layer, and a cream cheese frosting instead of being slightly naughty and using Ann Summers' vanilla body icing - as a talking point, if nothing else!
Anyhoo, here they are:
For Vanilla/Rainbow cake:
1. Use the same basic Vanilla cake recipe as yesterday, but divide the mixture between four bowls, and add a few drops of food colouring to each one.
2. Gently spoon a tablespoon of each mixture into the paper cases one at a time. Don't worry if they seem to run into each other.
3. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until the sponge bounces back when touched.
300g icing sugar, sifted
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g cream cheese, cold
White chocolate chips
4. Mix the ingredients together until fluffy.
5. Spoon the frosting onto the cakes when they are cooled.
6. Decorate with white chocolate chips and hundreds-and-thousands.
These are very fun cupcakes - a quick and easy way to jazz up a very simple Vanilla recipe.
The colourings do add some rather naughty e-numbers, but they're nice for a treat!
I'd never made a cream cheese frosting before, and don't think it's supposed to be that runny - but it was still delicious - like unset cheesecake!
The cupcakes are definitely going down a treat in the office, and I'm having to take two tins in - one for the reception team downstairs, and a bigger one for the office I'm working in.
However, I think I have a bit of a mutiny on my hands today.
Wendy from the office next to ours brought in MASSIVE pink cupcakes:
MUTINY! CORRUPTION! COUP D'ETAT!
Monday: Black Bottomed Cupcakes (Chocolates sponge with Vanilla cheesecake topping)
Tuesday: Marshallow Cupcakes (Vanilla sponge with a molten marshmallow, and buttercream and marshmallow frosting)
I've just realised that I've had a surge in new followers the past few days - I hope you are visiting for the cake, but stay for the fashion!
For the benefit of the newbies, I also have a Facebook page and Twitter where you can chat with me!